Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Decking the Halls...and walls, and bushes and trees, and tabletops...

I love Christmas for a variety of reasons, but one of the top reasons would be the fact that I get to decorate the interior and exterior of my house without judgement.  Ok, there is probably some judgement from those that live with me...but I have learned to ignore his eye rolls, because yes, I feel it is worth it to haul out all of my rubbermaid bins and plastic bags and figurines encased in styrofoam and cardboard, set everything out, hide all of the packaging, then after about a month, get all of the boxes back out and put it all away again.  I loved doing this when I was a child and I look forward to sharing these experiences with my kids in the future too.
The big addition to my collection this year was my mother's Department 56 village.  I always loved when she put this up when I was a kid and I had always hoped that she'd let me have it when she was tired of putting it up anymore.  She isn't tired of it, but she simply doesn't have room for it, so she let me borrow it indefinitely until she has room to display it again.  It was trickier than I thought, trying to place all of the buildings and houses in just the right spots to create a village, but I was proud of my first-time end results.
Too many decorations at home - some have to come to work!