Sunday, September 29, 2013

Running Buddies

I ran quite a few races in 2013.  But I ran most of them alone.  I put my headphones in and pretty much ignored everyone around me.  I went at my own pace and decided when I'd run or when I'd walk, when I'd push myself, and when I needed to take it easy.  But an opportunity for a little family fitness presented itself and we ran with it (pun intended).  I have volunteered at the kid's tent for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure for the last five years, but I've never participated in the 5K race.  Until this year, when I thought it would be fun to run it with my niece, who is in cross country at school.
Since my grandmother was a breast cancer survivor, I thought it would be nice to run in her honor/memory.  So I got my crafty on and made some personalized gear (for us runners and our spectators) and it was off to the races.
Emma was very chatty during our run, which I actually appreciated, because it made me forget about the distance and how tired I was.  She even made me sprint at the end.  So when's our next race?